Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Mixed Stripe Revisions, and Other Yarns

I made a mistake with the Catherine Wheel stitch - omitting the three stitches in between each motif - which caused those rows to be significantly shorter than the preceding rows.  You can't tell in the other pictures, but it was painfully obvious to me. I kept trying to ignore it - thinking I could find a way to compensate. Finally, I gave in to reality and removed the first Catherine Wheel section - the one in two shades of pink.  I was able to do this, maintaining the two blanket pieces as separate, intact, works.  So painful to rip that out. Sometimes, I hate facing reality.

Now, I'm reworking the pink Catherine Wheel, and all the rows that followed, getting my blanket back up to where it was. Unfortunately, the section I removed is bigger than the section I'm building on. Right now, I'm using that discarded section as a winter wrap, wearing it around my shoulders in the cold evenings. 

 
This shows the strip I removed, what was left with from the first section, and the new Catherine Wheel underway.

 Above - the section I'm temporarily wearing as a shawl. Eventually, it will become it's own blanket.  I detached it from the other section on the left - at the dark blue. The light blue was added so that all those loops wouldn't pull out, unraveling the stitches.  I used the light blue to make a modified "broomstick" stitch - grabbing 4 loops and making 4 single crochets in the tops, then moving to the next set of loops and doing the same.  Usually, broomstick lace uses longer loops, but this was the best solution I had to my predicament, and I love this blanket. It's so pretty! I'd hate to lose all that work. 

Here is the actual blanket, Catherine Wheel reworked, and a few of the replacement rows completed.  Lots more to do. I hope it goes quickly!

On another note, I spent a little time over the holidays finishing up another project. I joined several Block A Month groups on Ravelry last year, with good intentions.  My yarn was Caron's Simply Soft in plum. I ended up hating that yarn, and abandoning the the project. 8 squares were done - and they sat all year. I made one more square, connected them all, and made a border. I like the textures of the squares.  Pay no attention to those two doggies under the  blanket. I didn't have the heart to make them move. 





This shows the upper right corner better. The first picture doesn't really fit it in. 


The border is a combination of rows of single crochet, half doubles, doubles, a row of star stitch, and more singles and doubles.  It's not quite done.


This is the blanket Thing One is working on. She chose the yarn as one of her Christmas gifts, and started right away on a Hexagon blanket, connecting as she goes. I love it! 


4 comments:

  1. So glad to have found someone else doing the Little Woolie crochet along! I started over Christmas (and too funny- saw in your profile that you have Cincy connections-that's where I live!) Feeling your pain on the ripping out- I initially chained too tightly, and just don't have the heart to redo it! Advice, because it doesn't look like Jules gets to return comments too often....how in the world did you do the outline cluster? I'm fine with the actual cluster, but she wasn't at all detailed about the outline. I can't for the life of me get the "2trtog into center skipped stitch". I'd love any help! Thanks, and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to try and help!

    I did mine in turquoise outline, with lime green clusters inside. The second row of turquoise finishes the pattern, creating the straight line across the top, and filling in between the green clusters, to give that outline effect. So, across the top of each cluster, we have the single crochets. Between the clusters, you have to reach down to the first row of the pattern (in my case turquoise row) with the triples - encasing the yarn in between that connects each of the clusters.

    Let me know if that helps. I will try to post some pictures later.

    Thanks for making the Cincinnati connection! I grew up on the west side (Mercy girl), but my husband was from Deer Park, and we lived on the east side for a number of years before moving to Toledo. I still have family and friends in Cinti. It's a great city. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!! Thanks so much for your post with the pics- so very, very generous of you! You definitely make it seem much more doable - can't wait to give it a try when I get to that section again! I'm making progress- just finishing up my second ripple section now. Just wish I could find the amazing colors those girls across the pond seem to be able to get their hands on that don't cost an arm and a leg!

    Love what a small world it - we actually live in NKY near the airport, but I'm originally a Virginia girl myself. We've been happy for the couple of years that we've been here though.

    Thanks again- I'm going to go pin your post for easy access, and I'm sure it'll be able to help others working on our project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad the tutorial helped. That's my first attempt to write one. I've made tons of progress on my blanket - deviating a little more from the CAL. I'll be posting an update soon. :)

    For great yarn, take a look at Deramores in the UK. They ship to the US free if you order $50 or more. Use the code RAV2013 for 10% off. I'm using the Stylecraft Special DK, color pack of 17 for my mixed stripes. It's is a good, inexpensive, lightweight, acrylic yarn. (Less than $3 per skein.) The pack of 17 colors were chosen by Lucy of Attic 24. (If you haven't checked out her blog, you should!) She's in my favorites in the right column.

    ReplyDelete