Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Vegetarian French Onion Soup

 What do you do when you score a you a huge box of onions - free?



Thank God for food processors!

I filled my pot with the sliced onions and a little olive oil to get them started browning.  I like to start with olive oil and add the butter a little farther in the cooking process. This gives me the illusion of making a healthier soup. :)  Season with garlic, salt and pepper. Cook on low for a very long time, until beautifully caramelized.

When the onions reach a lovely, golden brown, add a vegetarian beef-style broth. I used McKay's, but if you are sensitive to MSG, you'll want to find something else.  Simmer until the onions are tender.  Add 1/4 cup dry sherry towards the end of cooking.

Cut a thick slice of crusty french bread. Toast it and place in oven-safe bowls. Ladle soup over the bread, and top with mozzarella, provolone, or Parmesan cheese. I used shredded Parm because that's what I had on hand.  Place on a baking sheet and slide into a 350 degree oven until the cheese is melted and beginning to brown.  Nirvana!

Next time, I'll get a picture of the finished soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment