Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Guess what? Chicken Butt!

Apparently chicks can get something called "pasty butt" which is what happens when they have a little constipation and the poo blocks their vent. (Vent is the chicken word for anus.)  I've read many warnings about the danger of pasty butt, so naturally, I've kept a look out.  Sure enough, two of the girls needed attention this morning.

The remedy - hold the chicken's butt under warm running water, and use a paper towel to gently wipe the dry poo away.  Pat dry.  Using a qtip, swab the vent with a little vaseline or olive oil.  This prevents new poo from sticking to her rear end.

I know this is more than you ever wanted to know about chicken butts.  It is certainly more than I ever thought I would know!

Let's hope this is the last we will see of pasty butt!

2 comments:

  1. haha... so there IS a legitimate use of one of our childhood favorite phrases :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like I always say: you haven't lived until you've wiped a chicken's butt :\

    ReplyDelete